Spelt is a very good source of protein, fibre, carbohydrates, B vitamins and minerals. It is a champion this ancient grain. Oats have a very good mineral content, a good source of vitamin B and soluble fibre. This combination makes a sweet, dense, and chewy texture that is nutritious.
Yield – 500g Loaf Cooking time – 1h 20min
• 500g Light Spelt Flour
• 150g Jumbo Oat Flakes
• 15g Bicarbonate of Soda
• 10g Himalayan Salt
• 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
• 1 tbsp Molasses
• 2 tsp Caraway Seeds
• 500ml Coconut Milk
• Juice of one Lemon
- Preheat the oven to 240C
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and scatter a little spelt flour over it to prevent sticking
- Sift the dry ingredients together and make a well in the centre.
- Mix the wet ingredients together thoroughly.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. You should end up with a wet dough. Transfer the dough to your lined tray and score a cross in the top.
- Bake for 40 mins. It’s done when it has a rock hard exterior and is hollow when you tap the bottom. You may need to return the loaf to the oven upside down for a further 10 minutes cooking if the bottom is a little soft.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let it cool.
Source: CNM Vegan Natural Chef 2020